× Recruiting Members for AFSFA
Growing an association takes effort at all levels and in a variety of ways. Share what you do and tell us about your results..

Top Down Recruiting

• James88
  • James88's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #136 by James88
Top Down Recruiting was created by James88
We spend a great deal of time getting in front of the young Defenders in both the active duty and reserve squadrons telling them about how we're their professional organization, they're special - and all the other talking points. Then we turn around and poll the flight chiefs, managers, investigators, training supervisors and squadron leadership and find that very few are AFSFA members. I'm thinking our recruiting focus is upside down. It's hard to get junior to pop for membership when the NCOs and officers aren't members. Leading by example should perhaps be our approach. Wouldn't it be great at a Commanders Call to ask for a show of hands of all AFSFA members and everyone TSgt and above raises their hand. Any thoughts on how to make that happen?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #137 by johnprobst
Replied by johnprobst on topic Top Down Recruiting
I have seen a number of units where this has been done. The CC can talk about AFSFA the career field association as long as they do not create a sense that individuals feel like they are being ordered to join. The most effective way I have seen this done is for the CC or Chief, who would need to be members, to start the presentation and then turn it over to a local retired member who fills in the details and provides examples. At the end, the retired member provides next meeting information.
But there are many ways to create interest ... curious to see what others members think and what they have seen work.
John Probst

• SkoogMichael10012013
More
7 years 7 months ago #139 by SkoogMichael10012013
Replied by SkoogMichael10012013 on topic Top Down Recruiting
I'm new to the AFSFA but have been recruiting hard so I can start up a chapter in my area. (It's going very well, but could be better. I didn't realize it was so much work!) The chapter request will be coming into the AFSFA HQ soon. I agree that to get the junior enlisted to join, the senior enlisted as well as the officers, should be members. I have spoken with our unit leaders and have their full support. I also have our XO and SF Manager as members which leaves 2 left to join, the CC and the OPS Superintendent. Thankfully I have a good range of ranks as members already. Though we haven't even had our first meeting (so I can't speak on what does or doesn't work) I worry that the younger troops will think that they won't have a voice or a say once they join. I have to insure them that rank has no place in the chapter and that everyone is equal. After my first "group" recruiting attempt with our unit, I was speaking with our SF administration assistant. She said the presentation was delivered very well, but I forgot to tell them WHY it is important for them to join. She pointed out that we are a in a professional career field and professionals are expected to be in associations to promote their careers and their businesses. Needless to say, I immediately added that to my presentation. I'm hoping that the next attempt lands more recruits! - Mike Skoog L'Étoile du Nord Chapter (Soon to be!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dzanoni00

More
7 years 7 months ago #140 by johnprobst
First Mike, thanks much for your efforts. Recruiting is a lot hard than it appears on the surface and as you clearly remind us just knowing how to explain the WHY of joining takes thought up front and a general understanding of your audience.

Many of our Chapter Chairmen will agree with you wholeheartedly ... it takes time and knowing what the recruit is looking for.

The briefing we use at the SF Academy, where graduating SFs are given the one-time-free-one-year-electronic membership test drive, focuses on the likely thought every new graduate has in their mind: "How can I stand out at my new base? What will make me look different than my contemporaries?" And in that briefing we address being part of "Your Professional Association" and how being a member may look on your resume. Additionally, the briefing addresses being part of something bigger than you and being part of a chapter or a community project representing your unit.

There are as many ways to explain the value of being a AFSFA member a there are leaders. And that brings me to my second point, explaining our membership value to our youngest Airmen is very different then for seasoned NCOs and Officers. Again, it is knowing your audience.

Again, thanks for what you are doing ... and I am sure others will join in the share their ideas.

Respectfully, John Probst

• SkoogMichael10012013
More
7 years 7 months ago #141 by SkoogMichael10012013
Replied by SkoogMichael10012013 on topic Top Down Recruiting
Mr. Probst, I'm glad you mentioned the new recruits because I have the benefit of working shift every drill weekend, so I have been making it a point to talk to the new SF recruits before they go to Basic and Tech school. I let them know a little about the association and they get to know my name and face. I let them know that you will be talking to them after they graduate and will have a chance to join at that time. I'm hoping that this will help them choose to join when they know that they have a chapter waiting for them when they return. PLUS I'm hoping that they will get more out of your presentation knowing that it is relevant back here. - Mike

More
7 years 7 months ago #142 by johnprobst
Mike -- appreciate you "priming the pump" on your end and have them look out for the briefing. You are spot on ... I believe you talking to them before they hit the SF Academy, then getting the briefing and returning to a unit where the chapter is growing helps set the hook and gets AFSFA a member for the long run. From the numbers I have been seeing for your location I think you are near a chapter charter. Looking forward to meeting you and your Defenders soon.
Respectfully, John

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds